Friday, October 23, 2009

The Art of Typography

Yea~ After a week something, finally I got an idea to post. Thanks to Six, because recently I just drop by at his blog, talking about their subject in this semester, one of the subject is basic typography. Actually this post is specially post for my juniors, since they learn typography this semester, just to let them have more interest to typography. Not gonna talk about the history of typography, just to share about my experience and opinion of typography. Still remember that when I was 1st year Diploma, the third semester we just started to learn about typography, compare with our juniors, they already start to learn in second semester. Thanks to Mr Ng something, I learned to love typography, a lot.

In art and design, typography play a very important role. You can see typography at everywhere, every corner. Usually we read a lot in book, magazine, although it just a paragraph with a lot of text, but it's a part of typography. For most of the people might think that just a text ONLY, but for me, when we reading, we are seeing something so called Art. Nowadays, designer love use typo to design their stuff. No matter in what element, typo just appear everywhere. It doesn't have to be so complicated, just see how you arrange it. Here is some great examples of typo arrangement.





Source from Abduzeedo and Deviantart

Typography appear in many different design platform, such as T-shirt design, web design, logo design, 3D, illustration and many others that can use typo to design. Here are some examples.


Craft - by Adolfo Correa

Human Potrait (source from abduzeedo)

Photo Illustration by Tariq Sheshani

T-shirt design (source from Threadless)

Vector Typo (source from Abduzeedo)

Hand Made Typo by HandMadeFont

Logo design (source from Abduzeedo)

Web Design (source from Abduzeedo)

3D typo by Craig Ward


3D motion - Tragic Peaceful Death
one of my favourite motion.

There's still a lot of different kind of typo design. You can try to explore a lot of different way to present your typo design. I did explore some typo design too, it's really fun when you try to do it in different way and the result is unpredictable. Just to show some of my typo work~







And here have some great typography inspiration website.

I hope you guys enjoy the post. Any suggestion for my future post are welcome, just to give me an idea to talk about something related to art and design, or maybe something gossip :D .At last, I hope this post really can increase the interest of typo to my juniors. Well, see ya~

3 comments:

[nD] a.k.a Andy said...

hui yoh~leng leng!

vertigoblack said...

keng typo... long time din see ur typo motion d. =.=

~six~ said...

wahhh~Nice work for typo~ Wish can learn to make those too~ haha~
Thanks by the way~ =)

~six~